Thursday, June 23, 2011

how to make your oven a freezer

Well it has almost been a week since the bear-a-thon. The t-shirts were a stunning shade of yellow-my fave! It was quite the run but not as bad as I thought it would be and I came in first for ladies in the 5k in 28mins. YES! Nothing, however, compares to the day after when Ben and I came in second at the canoe races and won 500$,  which went towards delicious groceries. It's wild, because food is so expensive up here we order it from yellowknife and they fly it up here. I tried to get them to send us some ice cream but still no luck. Probably because it's so bloody hot. Our trailer feels like an oven on broil, you know, where you have to open the door and check on whats inside every few seconds to make sure not to burn the crap out of whats inside. The other night it hit an all time high so I rushed out the next day and bought mass amounts of tin foil and tin foiled the heck out of all our windows. So far so good, so I'm hoping this works. Also thanks to Ben's handy work we now have windows that open so we will no longer suffocate to death! There was a town dance the other night which sounded like it could be quite the wild time but unfortunately while trying to make it there we got so eaten by mosquitoes we had to run home. This is actually quite funny if you picture us the night of the bear-a-thon having ALREADY run 5k and now running another long distance race in order to get home before we were consumed by the dreaded stinging flies. Let's just say my legs have never looked better. Worse than mosquitoes are those dreaded pincer bugs, which are huge if I may say so. Here I was dreading no cellphones and city life when I should have been preparing myself for the mammoth pincer flies. I must say everyday I find more and more that I like about this place, waterfalls, incredible hikes, a nice lake, and people you know everywhere. Although there are definitely some things I miss like crazy from home, ice cream being pretty high up there. Question of the decade, who would win: a mama grizzly or a scavenging polar bear? Still here, until next time.

1 comment:

  1. When you say win, do you mean canoe race or perhaps tinfoil windowshade construction challenge? I'm pretty sure that polar bears are tops in a canoe but when it comes to tinfoil, grizzlys can make origami pirate ships with their eyes closed. I know this from personal experience. Trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete